over the years

Our history

From 1930 to the present day, Cristallerie de Montbronn has continued to evolve to offer exceptional products and rank among one of the most beautiful crystal factories in France.

            In Greek mythology, Prometheus, creator of humanity, transmitter of fire, father of all arts and techniques, used a hollow ferula rod to steal the sacred fire and give it to the human race. Thanks to its combustible properties, Men were able to create their first tools.

            At the Cristallerie de Montbronn, our first and most important tool is the human hand, more precisely those of our expert craftsmen with their incomparable know-how. Just like the myth of Prometheus, crystal has an equally important relationship with fire, in the fact that it is also born from combustion: the molten material forms a glowing ball at a temperature of 1200°C, which is then manipulated to create exceptional pieces.

Crystal is one of the most poetic materials there is: produced from the fusion of the purest earth, fine and immaculate sand, offering a perfect refraction of the sunlight. All of the creations of our House seek to be perfect muses to the poetry of crystal. Cristallerie de Montbronn is located in the heart of the historic Vallée du Cristal. Also known as the "Route du verre et du cristal", this little corner of paradise for all crystal lovers links the main glass and crystal factories of Lorraine and the Northern Vosges. A unique artisanal and artistic heritage whose worldwide reputation is well established.

Since the Middle Age, Lorraine's glass factories have taken advantage of the region's extremely prolific supply of sand, wood, and water, the three materials necessary for the creation of crystal; but it was not until the 17th century that a new wave of glass activity appeared on the borders of Lorraine and Alsace.

Throughout History, technical evolution and the symphony of heritage, glassworks and crystal factories opened their doors, one by one.

1930 to end of 2015 : a family business

            Our story begins in 1930. Joseph Louis Ferstler, crystal lover, initiated a passion that he passed on to his two sons, Alain and Gérard Ferstler, who took over the family business in 1977. From the very beginning, the crystal factory excelled in the small premises of the humble Lorraine village of Montbronn, which thus participated in the formation of what is now called the "Vallée du Cristal". Passion and productivity animate the walls of the company, which will reach in 1960 more than 100 dedicated workers, motivated by their love of crystal.

The company climbed the ladder and entered the international trade in 1977 when the Ferstler sons took over the business, bringing a modern touch to the company. In 1986, the Cristallerie de Montbronn won the “Grand Prix de la Créativité”, celebrating the dedicated and precise work of our craftsmen. Two years later, in 1988, the company won the “Grand Prix Export Fondexpa”, a time period that is particularly dear to the whole team of the Cristallerie de Montbronn and which continues to fuel its motivation.

2007 marks a new turning point for the Cristallerie de Montbronn, which is awarded the EPV (“Entreprise du Patrimoine Vivant”) label, honouring the company's exceptional know-how. The following year, Cristallerie de Montbronn won the "Stars et Métiers" award in the "Dynamique commerciale" category. These are important awards in the eyes of our team, which we carry with pride and honour.

 2016 to today : a renewal wind

            Since 2016, the Cristallerie de Montbronn has been run by Frédéric Muller, accompanied by his wife Gabrielle and their daughter, Camille. The three of them bring ambition and exceptional work to lead the Cristallerie de Montbronn towards a future that is all the more brilliant.

About twenty talented craftsmen continue to carry on the know-how by bringing their constantly evolving techniques to the creation of new collections. Together, they breathe a wind of novelty and innovation that has earned the Cristallerie de Montbronn a multi-national reputation as well as the unparalleled trust of its prestigious clients; collaborations that contribute to the evolution and continuous advancement of the world of luxury.

            Regularly, our creative and technical teams work on the conception of novelties, creating new collections with a classical or contemporary look and technique.

Cristallerie de Montbronn has a wide range of 13 colours in layered crystal that is in constant expansion. Each collection illustrates the timelessness of crystal with ever more advanced or minimalist designs.

            Finally, each piece is subject to rigorous quality control, and careful and meticulous packaging before leaving our workshops to be delivered worldwide.

The beginning of a story...

Foundation

Cristallerie de Montbronn was founded by Joseph Louis Ferstler.

The Cristallerie at its peak

Expansion

The crystal is mouth-blown, hand-cut and polished by more than 100 workers who work at Cristallerie de Montbronn.

A new market

International development

The company is taken over by the sons of Joseph Louis Ferstler who develop the international trade.

Creativity rewarded

Honors

Cristallerie de Montbronn wins the Creativity Prize.

crystal in the world

Export Grand Prize

Cristallerie de Montbronn wins the Grand Prix Export Fondexpa.

Excellent know-how

Living Heritage Company

Cristallerie de Montbronn is labeled Living Heritage Company.

Craftsmanship in the spotlight

Star and Trades

Cristallerie de Montbronn is the “Stars et Métiers” winner in the “Commercial dynamics” category

A new turn

Taken over by Frédéric Muller

Cristallerie de Montbronn was taken over by Frédéric MULLER who, with all his collaborators, perpetuates today the high level of craftsmanship of excellence.

Talented business leader

Gravity Prize

Frédéric Muller won the first prize in France for Talented Entrepreneur. A reward to business leaders for their talent who have made their dreams a reality.